Unmade are a global fashion SaaS (Software as a Service) company working with some of the most recognisable fashion, lifestyle, and sportswear brands, such as New Balance and Rapha. We believe the fashion industry is at the beginning of a new revolution and our mission is to bring the fashion supply-chain into the 21st century. As such, we are looking for a Senior Front-end Engineer to help us shift the industry towards consumer-driven, on-demand production, and away from mass consumption.
What’s it like working at Unmade?
- We are building a product to have a lasting positive impact on the world. We care about the work we do, and we are supportive of everyone to do the same.
- We foster a culture of collaboration and learning. We value learning from each other and sharing what we do - no one is unapproachable, and everyone’s voice matters.
- We believe that product development is a team sport. It is as much about the people involved as it is the code. We value and encourage investing time to build and maintain healthy relationships with one another.
- We are transparent in everything we do, and share both our successes and our failures. We’re comfortable that even if things don’t always go as planned, we are all doing our best.
In the next 12 months you will be
- helping to build and ship high-quality software, in a sustainable manner. For us, high-quality means
- crafted to be simple to understand, maintain, and change
- reliable (well tested, using a variety of techniques)
- performant (fast and smooth)
- playing a guiding role for members of the Engineering team, and within product teams. This will involve helping people navigate unfamiliar problems, helping to prioritise, and executing to deliver value early and often.
- working to improve the quality and effectiveness of our software. You will be expected to take pride in your craft, and be able to convey the value of building considered, thought-out software solutions
- informing the direction of our product, from a technical point of view. This might involve exploring potential solutions to problems, and communicating the value and trade-offs of various approaches.
- communicating with a wide-range of people in order to ensure value is being delivered. This will include designers, product managers, the sales team, and our customers.
To be successful in this role, you will need
- Experience using React to build interactive UIs
- Appreciation of how to build high-quality, performant web applications
- Ability to play a prominent, guiding role in product development teams
- Desire to help your peers improve their skills and expertise
- Empathy and clarity in all of your communication
- Ability to contribute to an inclusive environment that enables everyone to excel
Why you’ll love working at Unmade
- Salary of £60,000 - £80,000 p/a + employee share scheme
- 25 days of holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Option to "buy" an extra 5 days leave
- 52 weeks of leave and enhanced pay for maternity, paternity and adoption
- 2 days of paid leave to volunteer for charity
- Budget to attend events, conferences and training courses
- Some opportunities for remote working
- Access to Cycle to Work and Tech schemes
- Travel season ticket loan scheme
- Your choice of hardware and software
- Quarterly team trips and away days
- Weekly team talks
- Free team lunch on Fridays
- Central London location (Clerkenwell, near Exmouth Market)
What to expect during your interviews
Step 1 - Application Review - If your experience and skills are relevant, we will email you to schedule a phone call with someone from the recruitment team.
Step 2 - Phone screen - You will be asked to talk about your current role and what it involves. You'll also have an opportunity to share what it is you are looking for in your next role, and your motivations for embarking on a change of job. This is also the perfect moment to talk about your salary expectations and potential start date.
Step 3 - Onsite interview - The onsite interview lasts approximately 3 hours and is structured into 3 parts: technical, technical leadership, and teamwork and communication. We'll let you know in advance who you’re going to meet. Also, we’re a pretty casual bunch, so feel free to wear whatever you are most comfortable with for your interviews.
- Technical Interview (~1hr 15mins)
- Part II - Further technical discussion of focussing on higher-level aspects of software development (e.g. software design, maintainability).
- Technical Leadership Interview (45mins)
- An important part of this role is leadership focussed, meaning you will be expected to fulfil responsibilities such as mentoring, helping and guiding product teams, and aiming to be a team multiplier (as opposed to more/bigger individual contributions). In this section we'll focus on your practices around these topics.
- Teamwork and Communication Interview (45-60mins)
- We want to make sure that you're the right person for the team, and also that this is the right role for you. We aim to get a better understanding of your motivation, teamwork, how you handle disagreements, and general communication style.
Step 4 - Feedback - You can expect to hear back from us within 1-3 working days following your onsite interview.
Unmade cares deeply about helping the tech industry become a more inclusive and diverse place and we work hard to lead by example. We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity through attracting and retaining a complementary team of employees and building an inclusive environment for all.
Apply today and start your next adventure with Unmade