Unmade is a global fashion software company driving innovation through customisation and delivering an end-to-end digital solution for on-demand production at scale. Started by Hal Watts, Kirsty Emery-Laws and Ben Alun-Jones in 2014, the company was born out of a desire to reimagine both the design and manufacturing processes within the fashion industry, so brands only make what is actually sold, resulting in minimal waste. It then officially launched as Unmade in 2015, having previously been called Knyttan.
We were nominated for the LVMH Innovation Award at VivaTech in Paris, and in 2017, we won the Best Use of Innovation at the Drapers Digital Awards in London.
Furthermore, Unmade was most recently named as one of the 100 best creatively led businesses in the UK by The Creative Industry Council, and in May 2018, it completed the Lafayette Plug and Play program as part of the renowned Plug and Play innovation accelerator. Pieces from Unmade are now a part of the permanent collections at both the The Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Victoria & Albert Museum in London.
We work with 4 out of the 25 largest groups in the fashion industry, and in addition we have clients like Farfetch, Opening Ceremony, Christopher Raeburn, Rapha, Moniker, and others, which work with us to give their customers the option to customise the products they want.
We are a team of 30 people working across Engineering, Design & Product, Sales & Marketing, Customer Success, and Operations, and are based at Somerset House, one of London's most important and exciting cultural landmarks.
What’s it like working at Unmade?
- We are doing work we care about, and we are supportive of others to do the same.
- We have fostered a culture of collaboration and we believe in exchanging information and learning from each other - no one is unapproachable, and everyone’s ideas matter.
- We believe that potential is more important than experience, and hire accordingly. Don’t worry if you don’t have all the skills and experience we’re looking for today - apply anyway! In fact, many of our colleagues started here with little experience and learnt on the job.
- We believe that what you build is just as important as how you build it, and that technology is just as much about people as it is about code. We are building a product where people with little to no technology experience can be involved in an element of the creative process, and are constantly thinking of ways to make it better and more seamless.
- We strive to be transparent in everything we do, and share both our successes and failures with the rest of the team. As a result, we’re comfortable that even if things don’t always go as planned, we are always doing our best.
About the role:
We’re building a SaaS product, and you will be building upon existing systems and help shape the architecture of the platform. Our technology stack covers everything from dynamic UIs, graphics programs and order processing, to custom language compilers for industrial knitting machines.
Our UIs enable consumers to customise physical garments via their browser. This means building and maintaining rich interactive UIs, modelling garment customisation in data, and aspects of 2D & 3D graphics. It is a versatile and exciting role that will allow you to learn and to develop your skills further in an inclusive and supportive environment.
To be successful in this role, you will need to have:
- Exposure to building web UIs (perhaps by using a library or framework)
- An eagerness to learn
- Empathy in your communication
- A desire to contribute to an inclusive and positive working environment for everyone
Nice to have (but not required):
- Web/Browser performance
What we will not do during your interviews with us:
- Create a very rigid interview process that doesn’t allow for the conversation to flow. We will make sure we cover everything we need to know from you, while also allowing you to ask questions and get to know us and the team better. This is as much about you interviewing us as it is about us interviewing you.
- Ask where you see yourself in 5 years. It’s not that we don’t care, but things are likely to change anyway. Maybe you’ll still be with us? :)
- Make you feel uncomfortable, especially if you don’t know the answer to a question. We will also not ask you questions whose answers we don’t know ourselves. Instead, we will aim to make our interviews collaborative and fun (not sure there’s a way to have fun during interviews, but we’re aiming for it).
- Whiteboard exercises - has anyone ever had to write code on a whiteboard as part of their role?
- Over or undersell the role and the company. We want you to be aware of and excited about the challenges and opportunities here at Unmade.
- Keep you waiting - very few things are more stressful during an interview process than waiting to hear back. Our aim is to take no longer than one week to get back to you at every stage.
If you join Unmade:
- Salary: £35-45,000/annum + equity
- Holiday: 25 days + bank and public holidays
- Pension: 5% (3% from you and 2% from Unmade)
- Flexible working hours
- Knowledge sharing and personal development
- Conference and training budget
- Friday team lunches